Tuesday, July 7, 2009

Seattle Rock N Roll

So here's the skinny on the Seattle Marathon..


We flew in Early Friday morning, rented a car and drove strait to the Expo center where we spent the next 5 hours buying all kinds of great gear to insure we would run faster and jump higher. That night we splurged and stayed at the luxurious Hyatt in the downtown district. We carb loaded at the famous CheeseCake Factory and enjoyed the workout center and spa amenities later that evening.



The next morning we awoke early to ensure a good spot in the shuttle line....As you can see 25,000 other runners had the same idea. It took over an hour to arrive at our destination, 15 minutes after the start gun fired. Lucky for me my group had not taken off yet but Poor Bob had to run with the slow gang for the first few miles until it thinned out enough to take off.


At the half point we were both feeling fabulous. We passed each other on the bridge overlooking the Bellevue are. At that point I remember thinking that I'd never felt so good, I was sure I was going to beat my goal time.

Abruptly at mile 16 my dreams of glory came to a screeching halt as I made a mad dash for the port-o-potty. After 10 minutes of stomach cramps, I dared venture out... I immediately noticed that the course looped around and came back my direction. As I could see the turn point was less than a 1/4 mile away, I figured I'd get back on track by hopping over the median and I started running in the opposite direction.

BAD, BAD IDEA

The turnaround I could see was for the 1/2 marathon. The full marathon runners had to keep going another 3 miles before turning around. I ended up shaving off a full 6 miles ending up at mile 22.

I was considering hopping over the median again and turning back around when my legs made the decision for me. The nasty cramping that started in my stomach moved into my legs.

I wasn't sure what to do...I walk, I stretched, I rubbed, still the cramping was relentless At mile 25 (19 for me) both legs were locking up...It was so strange, I wasn't tired, winded, or even fatigued, just partially paralyzed.

I've heard all about the "Runners Wall", I thought it was a mental problem, something that required mental toughness, determination, and sheer willpower. I had no idea that in actuality it is a total mechanical breakdown.

I hit the WALL and I was powerless.

Mile 25 was all downhill and that actually slowed me down even more because I couldn't fully bend my knees. In the shoot I really tried to turn it on but it seemed that only my arms would participate....my legs were in full protest. I'm sure it looked hilarious...If I hadn't been crying I would have probably laughed. It felt like two nasty Charlie Horses were fighting to see who could hold a contraction the longest....

As I hobbled over the finish line the medics hauled me into "the tent"...poured packs of salt under my tongue, rubbed stinky cream on my legs and stretched them to the point I would have kicked them if I had been capable of such motion.

Still my biggest concern was trying to figure out how I was going to explain the miraculous 3:20.30. Did I just qualify for Boston???

Later I learned that as I missed running across one of the electronic pace sensors with my median leaping escapade I was disqualified. Still I have a cool medal inscribed with the words "Inaugural rock-n-roll"for the girls dress up box, plus the knowledge and wisdom to carry a salt shaker at all times.


Bob had the same leg cramping problem, tons of other runners did...the heat and humidity just sucked the Sodium right out. Still he managed to beat his St. George time....and I can't wait to see what he does this year.
Great Job Bobby!
You inspire me.

3 comments:

Morehead Family said...

Wow! Way to go Bob and Kristi!

Vinci, Michelle and Owen Filio said...

you still did your best! and the next time...you'll really finish! I am training for my third marathon - coincidentally in Seattle as well, but not till November. I do not like running in warm/hot weather.

I have 2 half marathons planned before the full marathon, coz I am trying to finish under 5 hours. We'll see how that goes!

But...keep running.....

High Heels and a Sippy Cup said...

Can I just say that you are my running hero? Bob too. Y'all ROCK!